Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Containerized Disaster Relief Housing

A couple of years ago I did a competition for emergency housing relief. The central idea was What if a Katrina-like storm surged on the coast of New York City. I put this small proposal together after work and on weekends, submitting it just for fun. A couple of weeks later I got an email that I had gotten an honorable mention for my proposal. In light of the current situation in Haiti, I think this proposal is even appropriate for any disaster relief situation.

The structure is composed of a variety of functional containers. A commercial or community space sits at the ground level. The roof level is composed of half-size containers filled with rubble and soil which can provide a small space to raise food.

Above: Isometric View of one unit composed of two containers.
Below: Isometric view of assembled structure.

The rest of my entry, the other honorable mentions and winners can be found at the What If NYC competition site. Look forward to comments or questions.

1 comment:

Construction Training said...

is this applicable to all building with more than 5 floors? how will you lift the roof per floor? I don't understand.